Monday, November 6, 2023

When Did This Become Okay?

When did this become okay? When did it become okay to not be able to put on my shoes and socks without straining and becoming short of breath? When did it become okay to not be able to shower in my own home because I cannot raise my legs high enough to step into the tub? When did it become okay to not be able to reach in the bathroom? How did I let things get to this point? I was suddenly struck by the realization that my normal is no longer "normal" this afternoon as I sat on the side of my bed, struggling to get up. I have to rock back and forth, big time, to build up enough momentum to hoist myself off of the mattress into a standing position, which usually takes me 4 or 5 tries now. Its not a pretty sight. I'm not a pretty sight. When did this become okay?

And as I sat there crying, I had to acknowledge that unless I do something about this, unless I take action, this isn't going to change. I presently do not like where I am. I do not like how I look. I do not like how my clothes fit. I do not like how I feel. I do not like that I am limited as to what I can do by the size of my body. So I have a choice to make. Accept that this is my lot in life or do something about it. I refuse to accept that the way I am living now is okay any longer! I want better for me. I have been reluctant to join a gym out of the fear of what others might think of me or how I look. I'm not going to let that stop me anymore. Today, I made a phone call and set up an appointment with a personal trainer to help establish an exercise program to get me started moving again. I know that this is going to be difficult, but I am up for the challenge. In the past, I always enjoyed working out. I have faith that I can get there again. Is it going to be difficult? Yes! Am I going to curse at the treadmill? YES! But I am going to do it anyway knowing that it is what is right for me.

I am also going to commit to drinking four bottles of water a day. My doctor has been pushing that one for several months now. I'm not going to wait until I figure out why I keep sabotaging myself first, before adopting healthy habits. Otherwise, I'll never start taking care of myself. I have time to work on that in therapy while I am working on becoming healthier physically. I really have no more excuses to keep putting off what I know I need to do. I'm ready to work on getting back to "normal".

***UPDATE***: This blog entry was written six years ago. Since then I've swallowed my pride and admitted that I needed help in taking care of myself. As an occupational therapist, I'm aware of durable medical equipment and adaptive equipment that can make it easier to maintain or improve someone's level of independence in the home. I balked at the idea of using these things though. I thought that those were only for people who had a "legitimate" illness or disability. The fact that I needed help because I was "fat" didn't count. I was letting my pride stand in the way of doing what I needed to do for myself. I now use a hospital bed. I had a grab bar, ADA height toilet, and a transfer tub bench installed in my bathroom after my knee replacement surgeries. I use a sock aid and a reacher to get dressed. I have a rolling walker and a cane, if I need them. I have started an exercise program through cardiac rehab three days a week. As I'm losing weight and getting stronger I'm beginning to see some things returning to "normal" and it feels good! Tonight, THAT is what I'm choosing to motivate me to keep moving forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment